Director of Project Development (Utility-Scale) Eastern Region
The Director of Project Development (Utility-scale) is responsible for driving high growth through origination, development and management of a robust solar pipeline of projects, by leveraging 174 Power Global's project financing and internal EPC and development resources. The role of the Director of Project Development (Utility-scale) is to support the company's Eastern region strategy through origination of new greenfield sites, continued development of existing sites and/or lead the acquisition of new sites in key areas of growth in PJM or MISO regions. This candidate will identify opportunities on the basis of co-development relationships with project developers and well as individual projects under development or operation. This position will collaborate with an interdisciplinary team involved in all stages of project development, from conception through start of construction and requires regular team collaboration. This position reports to the Head of Development, U.S. Eastern Region and is expected to travel at least 30-40% of the time depending on candidate's location relative to PJM and MISO market focus.
• Develop strategic plan and budget needs for PJM or MISO areas in conjunction with Head of Development, U.S. East Region and continuously drive the completion of strategic milestones that will materially advance a project through the various stages of project development.
• Develop, advance, and manage development of existing or new downstream utility scale solar projects (50 MW or greater selling to utilities or corporates) including offtake, permitting, interconnection, land, community relations, stakeholder management and all related budgets;
• Communicate on a regular basis in meetings or with presentations to Supervisor and other team members, including visits to CA headquarters as needed to foment strong collaboration among a multidisciplinary team based in Irvine;
• Aggressively pursue, quantify, drive, and close solar project deals for near term revenue or longterm portfolio management; • Develop and create bid proposals with creative, well conceived winning bid strategies and optimized economics, factoring in lease, loan financing options, module and BOS assumptions internally approved by company;
• Work closely with different internal teams to negotiate contract terms (project finance, engineering, project management, procurement and legal);
• Actively monitor and manage the progress of projects via periodic meetings to assess the development status, issue resolution, budget and schedule of each project.
• Assist with financial models, power point presentations (internal and external audiences), internal reporting, weekly team meetings and relevant regulatory research as needed;
• Responsible for overall development of a large commercial solar project portfolio in PJM or MISO region;
• Foster and maintain key business and government customer relationships while also identifying and expanding key development partnerships in local communities, with potential partners, corporate buyers, etc.;
• Adhere to all company policies, procedures, and business ethics codes; • Identify and secure suitable project sites, perform cost/feasibility analysis, pricing analysis, contract and concession agreement negotiations;
• Negotiate land leases and easements, managing landowner relationships and collaborating closely with internal real estate legal and support teams at headquarters;
• Identify, manage and secure interconnection agreements while leading the overall interconnection strategy for a specific market area;
• Secure permits required by local, county, state and federal jurisdictions, and managing community relations.
• Obtain internal approvals to allow projects to advance, including processing PRs/ POs, initiating WBS documentation, preparing project for Investment Committee approval and maintaining overall budget and schedule for project in compliance with approvals.
• BS/BA with minimum of 10 - 15 years of experience in large scale solar projects development (50 MW or larger)
• Demonstrated track record of consistently sourcing and advancing projects through various stages of development to start of construction.
• Strong fluency in solar project finance, contracts, utility interconnection, and construction/ EPC issues
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Superior understanding of customer and PJM or MISO market dynamics and future requirements/ trends
• Willingness to travel at least 30% of the time and work with a global team of professionals
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, and must be a strong team player with experience working in teams while also being a self-driver to optimize growth in key markets.
• High degree of professionalism and conduct at all times
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Able to multi-task, set priorities, meet deadlines, manage schedules and actively maintain budgets.
• Confidence and ability to interact with people at all levels of the organization
• Advanced technical knowledge (e.g., familiarity with renewable technologies, power markets, legislation, regulatory issues).
• Microsoft office suite proficiency required
174 Power Global provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.