Lead Electrical Engineer - Portland, OR
US, Portland | Professional | Full-Time
Do you want to be part of the high-paced, international work environment of Vestas, the global leader in wind energy? Now is your chance! Your achievements change the world’s energy mix and help preserve our planet for future generations.
Service / Service Operations / VAME
This Wind Energy professional will provide electrical engineering support for Wind Turbine Generators including but not limited to turbine availability and performance on the grid, low voltage and other transient stability, fleet performance support for wind turbine electrical and power systems, generation of work instructions, and identification & validation of new and improved parts and procedures. This individual will oversee WTG electrical maintenance, improve and optimize turbine on-line capability, power quality, and reliability related to site availability and performance. As subject matter expert, this electrical engineer will conduct analysis of the various wind turbine electrical operating conditions, repairs, root cause analysis of failures and identification of remedies, as well as support and collaborate with external customers, field services, quality, and commercial teams.
- Evaluate wind turbine performance data including use of statistical analysis methods to compute and compare wind turbine performance
- Drive electrical and power systems improvements to increase electrical operation reliability, reduce failures, optimize availability and power generation, eliminate turbine faults, and implement improvements
- Review, update, and maintain electrical and power engineering documents and drawings prepared or originated by multi-brand technology prior to issuance to staff and clients.
- Conduct inspections of wind turbines at sites for performance issues as required; review site condition reports for performance and design issues; issue improvement recommendations as appropriate
- Write technical reports including inspection, maintenance, repair, and failure analysis results to be presented both internally and externally
- Support and collaborate with external customers, field services, quality, and commercial teams with technical issues related to the electrical systems
- Provide technical support to a multitude of wind turbine technologies in North America and globally
- Uphold and adhere to safe practices
- B.S. or M.S. in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- 5-10 years of experience as Electrical Engineer with experience in the wind industry and/or focus on generators and electrical systems is preferred
- Strong technical understanding of electrical and power systems, electrical root cause analysis, reliability engineering, fault analysis, turbine availability, performance, and efficiency improvements
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to assimilates large data set and develop clear solutions to complex problems and use sound judgment in decision making
- Excellent ability to communicate in English; excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills. Achieves work results through thoughtful planning and productive actions
- Commitment to customer service focus, quality and continuous improvement in processes and knowledge sharing
What we offer
As a member of the Vestas team, we offer a competitive salary and one of the most comprehensive benefits plans in the industry. Among the many amenities we offer: healthcare; dental; vision; vacation and sick time; generous 401(k) plan; tuition assistance; and much more.
It is the policy of Vestas to afford equal employment opportunity without regard to age, race, religion, color, gender, or national origin, and to afford equal opportunity to veterans and individuals with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, provincial, or local law. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative within the People & Culture department.
This position is located in Portland, Oregon
Vestas is the energy industry’s global partner on sustainable energy solutions. We design, manufacture, install, and service wind turbines across the globe, and with 101 GW of wind turbines in 80 countries, we have installed more wind power than anyone else.
Through our industry-leading smart data capabilities and 86 GW of wind turbines under service, we use data to interpret, forecast, and exploit wind resources and deliver best-in-class wind power solutions. Together with our customers, Vestas’ more than 24,600 employees are bringing the world sustainable energy solutions to power a bright future.
We invite you to learn more about Vestas by visiting our website at www.vestas.com and following us on our social media channels.