Local Unit & Position Description
Company: DNV GL
Job Title: Team Leader - Renewable Energy Analytics ID 2019-12540
Job area: Energy, Engineering
Job Location: Bristol BS2 0PS, United Kingdom
Posted: 13th of May 2019
Closing Date: 30th of June 2019
DNV GL is looking to recruit a Team Leader for our Renewable Energy Analytics Department in our Bristol or Glasgow offices, UK, as part of an ongoing increase in capacity to meet the market needs. The role is both technical and commercial in nature and would suit someone looking for a technical commercial and customer facing role, whom is driven to support and lead their team in both personal development and delivery to our customers’ expectations.
This appointment is with the Renewables Advisory business within DNV GL. DNV GL is one of the world’s largest provider of independent renewable energy advice and a recognised authority in onshore wind energy. We are also at the forefront of the offshore wind, wave, tidal and solar sectors. Our team of dedicated experts are present in all major and emerging global markets for renewable energy.
The Team Leader, reporting to the Renewable Energy Analytics Head of Department (HoD), will work within the Renewable Energy Analytics department to lead and develop a team of 5 to 10 analysts, as well as to promote and deliver DNV GL's services to our customers.
As well as the team lead responsibilities, the role will involve providing technical consulting services throughout the development and operation phases of renewable energy projects to developers, investors, as well as owners and operators. These are mostly on annd offshore wind and solar projects.
The role and the team will be focused on one of our geographical areas with North Europe, Middle East and Africa, however there will be opportunities longer-term to be involved in broader geographic markets.
As a Team Leader and Senior Engineer, the individual will be expected to:
- Plan and resource multiple projects involving your team members (including projects which you will be undertaking) to ensure work is conducted within timescales and to budget.
- Co-ordinate the resourcing of work with other Team Leads and Heads of Department as appropriate.
- Promote, monitor and ensure the teams work meets the required standards and follows best practice guidelines.
- Create a team spirit and good working environment for the team.
- Be responsible for the team member’s individual performance management and development.
- Assist with business development as directed, in coordination with Business Directors, Business Leads and HoD.
- Support the recruitment, training and performance management of staff within the team.
- Support the continuous improvement of the business through the development of tools and processes as well as business development.
- Undertake technical work that may include the following:
- Undertake pre or post-construction energy production assessments;
- Undertake site conditions assessments;
- Produce detailed reports which review the feasibility of sites for development;
- Short-term forecasting;
- SCADA analysis;
- Monitoring the performance of operating wind farms for owners and lenders;
- Proposal writing;
- Participate in R&D projects as and when required;
- Project management, including budget control;
- Participate in industry groups and present at conferences as appropriate.
- Any other duties as directed by line management.
The project work is often fast paced with tight timeframes. The candidate must be willing to work with complex tasks under such deadline pressure, and be comfortable in managing workflow to deliver work on time (working with line manager and other team members to allocate work effectively).
- Experience in the renewables industry in a technical consulting capacity (as an indication a minimum of 3 years).
- Significant experience in delivering technical services of the nature described above (as an indication a minimum of 3 years).
- Significant experience in managing technical teams (as an indication a minimum of 3 years).
- Ability to provide a team with a clear sense of direction, inspires and co-ordinates others and keeps them focused on objectives.
- Ability to develop people through delegation, empowerment and coaching; promotes career and self-development.
- Communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively.
- An appropriate higher degree in an engineering or science subject, with minimum classification of 2:1 (or comparable). This will preferably include degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Meteorology, Physics or any other relevant engineering or science degree.
- A team player with energy and enthusiasm.
- Proven ability to produce clear written reports and communicate verbally in English.
- Demonstrable ability to deliver complex tasks to tight timelines.
- Good organisation and time management skills.
- Adaptability, and able to cope with a wide variety of tasks.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong commercial acumen
- Good IT skills, and experience using MS Office suite packages.
- A challenging and varied job in a dynamic and international environment.
- Being part of a highly qualified professional team of committed and talented colleagues.
- Plenty of opportunities for career development, training, mentorship and personal growth.
- The opportunity to mold a team to deliver industry leading consultancy to a determined geography and contribute to overcoming any technical challenges for renewables develoment in that region.
- The opportunity to lead and undertake research and innovation that will dictate the future of this branch of the renewable energy industry.
- The opportunity to infulence the industry's future by using the platform that DNV GL is able to provide.
- Naturally, the position is rewarded appropriately (competitive salary and good fringe benefits).
Conditions of Employment:
- Long term Continued Professional development;
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays.
The position is based in Bristol. The prospective candidate should be willing to travel on international assignments if required.
Company & Business Area Description
Originated in 1864, DNV GL operates globally in more than 100 countries with our 15,000 professionals dedicated to helping our customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL – Energy, with more than 2,300 experts in over 30 countries around the world, is committed to driving the global transition toward a safe, reliable, efficient, and clean energy future.
The Renewable Energy Analytics team provides a range of data analysis services and products that span the entire wind or solar project lifecycle. These services are based on over 30 years’ experience and more than 300 GW of projects. Our recognised excellence and independence makes us the preferred consultancy of many industry players. The multidisciplinary team is composed of about 45 engineers and analysts, responsible for providing consultancy services for pre-construction and operational renewables assets. Services include pre and post construction energy assessments, site meteorological conditions assessments, online meteorological data management, measurement campaign specifications, performance monitoring, reliability analysis, day ahead forecasting and turbine inspections.
Our customers are developers, banks, investment firms, utilities, energy traders and independent owners and operators. Geographically the team is primarily focused on the Northern European, Middle East and Africa markets, but also serving global markets for day-ahead forecasting and WindGEMINI (online digital twin) services.